Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Kick Start to the Season.

20min: 60 laps=1500m
Earlier this month Mesa State College put together an indoor triathlon that consisted of a 20min swim, 20min bike and a 20min run. This was the 1st Annual Indoor Triathlon, so it was exciting to see some interest in the sport of triathlons coming from the school. This was a great way to test the fitness level and also a great excuse to train indoors.
20min: 11.1 miles
20min: 3.1miles

 Also this month I was jumped into my first official 1/2 marathon in Gateway, CO. Only about an hour drive from Grand Junction, Gateway is a beautiful resort that lies only miles from the Utah border surrounded by the Uncompahgre Plateau, Pinon Mesa and the La Sal Mountains of Utah. Its hard to escape the beauty of the soft-red sandstone that make up this hidden gem of Western Colorado.

For this being my first 1/2 marathon (without a 1.2mile swim and a 56 mile bike before hand) I was curious to see how much I could push the body on fresh legs. Not much training went into this race specifically as I've been plugging away at my base miles and preparing for next months 1/2 Ironman distance in Las Vegas, NV.

Overall the race went well, in the first 5k I ran a 18:28 which is my fastest 5k to date. I knew I was flying and going at a pace that was a little out of reach for me, but I was able to maintain the pace till about mile 10. The next 3.1 miles were a struggle as my pace faded.  I held on and kept pushing hard, I ended up 4th Overall and 1st in age group with a time of 1:28:38. I was pleased with the results, my goal was to beat 1:30, so with that I couldn't complain to much.

From here I move forward in training and work on making that time from 1:28 to 1:20 while preparing for the RAGE Triathlon in Las Vegas, NV.  Safe training and as always Chase Your Dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment